As from Acunetix WVS v10, an Acunetix crawl can be pre-seeded using various techniques, one of which is by using a log file exported from the Acunetix HTTP Sniffer. This is very useful when connections to the website have already been captured when manually assessing the website using the Acunetix HTTP Sniffer.
Pre-seeding an Acunetix Crawl with such data gives the Acunetix Crawler a head start when scanning the site, while ensuring that the requests already captured using in the HTTP Sniffer are not missed by the Acunetix Crawler. This may happen when there are parts of the site which are not linked to from the main web site.
Here is to how to go about pre-seeding an Acunetix Crawl using an Acunetix HTTP Sniffer log file (slg).
- From the Acunetix HTTP Sniffer, stop the proxy and save the requests captured using the Save As button in the HTTP Sniffer. This will save a .slg file.
- From Acunetix, click on New Scan to start the new scan wizard.
- Insert the website URL of the site you want to scan and click Next.
- Choose the Scanning profile and the Scan Settings to use.
- Select to “Show advanced options in the scan wizard” and click Next.
- Choose the option “Define a file to be imported by crawler at start”
- Insert the path to the .slg file, or click the folder icon and select the file using the File-open dialog.
- Proceed through the Scan Wizard to start the scan.
- Acunetix WVS will immediately import the URLs from the HTTP Sniffer log file which match the URL being scanned.