Target Groups in Acunetix 360
Target groups can be managed from the Targets sidebar. You can use Groups in Acunetix 360 to group a number of targets in order to ease the management of multiple targets and scans. Targets Group scans can also be scheduled, just like individual target security scans.
By grouping targets you can:
- Scan all targets in a group simultaneously, using the same Scan Policy
- Get an overview of the security state of all targets in that group
- Filter the list of targets by group
- Assign permissions to users by group
For example, you can group targets depending on their location, state or importance. Here are two practical examples:
- Staging vs Live Environments
- Locations of Targets
Example 1: Staging vs Live Environments
You can use Acunetix 360 to scan web applications during the different stages of development, and once they are live. Since you probably use different Scan Policies, you can group all the staging and live targets in different groups. This enables you to scan all live targets simultaneously using a specific Scan Policy or scan all the targets on the staging server using another Scan Policy.
Example 2: Locations of Targets
Since there are many differences between the US and EU laws, it is common to have the US and EU based targets running under different configurations. And since you have to use different scan policies, you can use Target Groups to scan all the targets in a specific location.
Multiple and Default Groups
Targets can be included in more than one Target Group, for example:
- Company target (US, Critical groups)
- Staging Company target (US, Staging, Non Critical groups)
- Europe Employees Online Portal (EMEA, Critical groups)
By default your Acunetix 360 account has a built-in group called Default. This group cannot be deleted, and unless you specify otherwise, new targets you add to your Acunetix 360 account will be automatically added to the Default group.
How to Create a Target Group
- From the sidebar, click Targets, then New Group. The New Target Group page is displayed.
- In the Name field, enter a Group name.
- In the Targets section, you will be shown the list of Targets configued in Acunetix 360. You can filter the Targets as needed.
- Check those targets you want included in the group.
- Click Save.
How to Add a Target to a Group
- From the sidebar, click Targets, then Manage Targets. The Targets page is displayed.
- From the Targets page, click the Edit button beside the target you want to add to a group. The Edit Target page is displayed.
- In the Target Groups field, check the group to which you want to add the target.
- Click Save.
How to Edit a Target Group
- From the sidebar, click Targets, then Manage Groups. The Target Groups page is displayed.
- From the Target Groups page, click the Edit button beside the group you want to edit. The Edit Target Group page is displayed.
- Make the required edits.
- Click Save.
Overview of the Security State of Targets in a Group
To get an overview of the security state of all targets in a particular group, navigate to the Acunetix 360 dashboard and use the groups drop down menu to select the group.
Once you select the group the Acunetix 360 dashboard will be updated to reflect the security state of all the targets in the chosen group.