Installing Malware Scanning on Windows
The more recent versions of Windows are already equipped with a Malware scanning solution.
Windows 8 and Above
Windows 8 and above include the Windows Defender AntiVirus engine, which is the default (and recommended) engine. No further installation or configuration is needed in this scenario.
Install and Configure ClamAV for Windows 7
To enable Malware Scanning with an Acunetix installation on Windows 7, you will first need to install ClamAV. To achieve this:
- Download and install the ClamAV installer: http://www.clamav.net/downloads/production/ClamAV-0.102.1.exe
- Download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (make sure you install the 64-bit version): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
- You may need to bring your windows installation up to date via Windows Update before being able to successfully install this.
- Configure your ClamAV installation:
- From the folder "C:\Program Files\ClamAV\conf_examples", copy these 2 files:
- ...into the folder "C:\Program Files\ClamAV", and rename them to:
- each of these 2 files contains a line with just the word "Example" - use Wordpad to remove this line from both files
- from the command line as Administrator, run C:\Program Files\ClamAV\freshclam.exe to get the latest signature database
- Start up ClamAV - from the command line, run C:\Program Files\ClamAV\clamd.exe; leave it running for Acunetix to be able to check for malware.