By making a request to the Apache web server ending in '?M=A' it is sometimes possible to obtain a directory listing even if an index.html file is present. It appears that it is possible to retrieve a directory listing from the root of the Apache web server being tested. However, this could be because there is no 'index.html' or similar default file present.
Unless it is required, turn off Indexing by making the appropriate changes to your httpd.conf file.
- HTTP File Server Security Bypass and Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- Apache 'mod_proxy_http' 2.2.9 for Unix Timeout Handling Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- JServ Cross Site Scripting
- Apache HTTP Server Scoreboard Security Bypass Vulnerability (Windows)
- Apache Tomcat Session Fixation Vulnerability (Windows)