The remote ESXi is missing one or more security related Updates from VMSA-2013-0002.
VMware ESX, Workstation, Fusion, and View address a vulnerability in the VMCI.SYS driver which could result in a privilege escalation on Windows-based hosts and on Windows-based Guest Operating Systems. Relevant releases VMware Workstation 9.0 VMware Workstation 8.x prior to version 8.0.5 VMware Fusion 5.x prior to version 5.0.2 VMware Fusion 4.x prior to version 4.1.4 VMware View 5.x prior to version 5.1.2 VMware View 4.x prior to version 4.6.2 VMware ESXi 5.1 without ESXi510-201212102-SG VMware ESXi 5.0 without ESXi500-201212102-SG VMware ESXi 4.1.without ESXi410-201211402-BG VMware ESXi 4.0 without ESXi400-201302402-SG VMware ESX 4.1.without ESX410-201211401-SG VMware ESX 4.0 without ESX400-201302401-SG Problem Description a. VMware VMCI privilege escalation VMware ESX, Workstation, Fusion, and View contain a vulnerability in the handling of control code in vmci.sys. A local malicious user may exploit this vulnerability to manipulate the memory allocation through the Virtual Machine Communication Interface (VMCI) code. This could result in a privilege escalation on Windows-based hosts and on Windows-based Guest Operating Systems. The vulnerability does not allow for privilege escalation from the Guest Operating System to the host (and vice versa). This means that host memory can not be manipulated from the Guest Operating System (and vice versa). Systems that have VMCI disabled are also affected by this issue. Solution Apply the missing patch(es).
Updated on 2015-03-25
- VMSA-2011-0013.2 VMware third party component updates for VMware vCenter Server, vSphere Update Manager, ESXi and ESX
- VMSA-2012-0005 VMware vCenter Server, Orchestrator, Update Manager, vShield, vSphere Client, ESXi and ESX address several security issues
- VMSA-2013-0003 VMware vCenter Server, ESXi and ESX address an NFC Protocol memory corruption and third party library security issues.
- VMSA-2012-0009 VMware Workstation, Player, ESXi and ESX patches address critical security issues
- VMSA-2010-0009: ESXi utilities and ESX Service Console third party updates