NIST SP 800-53 Compliance Report
Acunetix 360 reports issues in a target web application that infringes the information security standard established by the National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-53 (NIST SP 800-53).
- NIST SP 800-53 develops information security standards and guidelines for federal information systems and organizations. Anyone that does business with the US federal agencies is also required to follow this guideline.
- It is recommended for enterprises to adhere to the NIST's standard to manage information security. Nevertheless, NIST SP 800-53 does not cover the country's national security.
- The aim of the NIST SP 800-53 is to protect organizational operations and assets, individuals, and other organizations from hostile attacks, natural disasters, and human errors.
There can be other security issues found in your web applications but not listed in the NIST SP 800-53 Compliance Report.
Click to view a sample NIST SP 800-53 Compliance Report.
NIST SP 800-53 Compliance Report Sections
There are five sections in the NIST SP-800 53 Compliance Report:
- Scan Metadata
- Vulnerability Summary
- Vulnerability Names and Details
- Show Scan Details
Each is explained below.
This section provides details on the following items:
- Scan Target
- Scan Time
- Scan Duration
- Total Requests
- Average Speed
- Risk Level
This provides a numerical and graphical overview of:
- Numbers The numbers of issues detected at various Vulnerability Severity Levels
- Identified Vulnerabilities The total number of detected vulnerabilities
- Confirmed Vulnerabilities The total number of vulnerabilities that Acunetix 360 verified by taking extra steps such as extracting some data from the target
Vulnerability Names and Details
This section describes all identified issues and vulnerabilities, along with their Impact and Proof of Exploit. It also explains what Actions to Take and a Remedy for each one, including External References for more information.
This table lists and explains the headings in the Vulnerability Names and Details section.
This is the name of the identified issue.
This is the label to group, organize, and filter issues in the target web application.
Proof of Exploit
This is a piece of evidence supplied to prove that the vulnerability exists, showing information that is extracted from the target using the vulnerability.
For further information, see Proof of Exploit.
This displays further details about the vulnerability.
This indicates how much Acunetix 360 is sure about the identified issue.
This shows the effect of the issue or vulnerability on the Target URL.
Required Skills for Successful Exploitation
This gives details on how malicious hackers could exploit this issue.
Actions to Take
These are the immediate steps you can take to decrease the impact or prevent exploitation.
This offers further steps to resolve the identified issue.
This provides links to other websites where you can find more information.
NIST SP 800-53: This provides further information about this vulnerability according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-53 (NIST SP 800-53).
CVSS 3.0: This shows the severity score of vulnerability based on the 3.0 edition of the Common Vulnerability Scoring System.
CVSS 3.1: This shows the severity score of vulnerability based on the 3.1 edition of the Common Vulnerability Scoring System.
This provides further information on the solution for identified issues.
Proof of Concept Notes
These notes demonstrate in principle how a system may be compromised.
This is the whole HTTP request that Acunetix 360 sent in order to detect the issue.
This is the reply from the system against the payload.
Show/Hide Scan Details
This section provides some profile and policy settings that Acunetix 360 uses to adjust its scanning to reach more coverage. For example, it lists all enabled security checks.
It provides information on your preference in selecting this scan so that developers have more details on how this scan was run.
For further information, see Security Checks.
How to Generate a NIST SP 800-53 Compliance Report in Acunetix 360
- Log in to Acunetix 360.
- From the main menu, click Scans, then Recent Scans. The Recent Scans window is displayed.
- Next to the relevant report, click Report. The Scan Summary window is displayed.
- Click Export. The Export Report dialog is displayed.
- From the Report drop-down, select NIST SP 800-53 Compliance.
- From the Format drop-down, select an option.
- If required, select one of the following to configure your report:
- Exclude Addressed Issues excludes those issues on which you've already taken action. (All Information level findings are marked as Accepted Risk automatically by default. To change this behavior, see Do not mark Information issues as accepted risks in General Settings).
- Export Confirmed includes only those issues that are confirmed.
- Export Unconfirmed includes only those issues that are unconfirmed.
- Click Export. You can view the report in the Save location.