ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report
The OWASP ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report in Acunetix 360 lists any detected security mistakes in the scanned web application.
- OWASP is the Open Web Application Security Project, and ASVS is the Application Security Verification Standard. This standard presents a strict and explicitly defined security checklist that aims to help in the design, development, and maintenance of secure web applications.
- Acunetix 360 allows you to generate an OWASP ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report. To view the technical details, you need to click on the relevant vulnerability.
- The report lists issues that arise because of lack of control specified in the OWASP ASVS and provides technical details on each vulnerability. This helps you to fix any issues.
- The report is available in HTML or PDF format.
Comparison with OWASP Top Ten Lists
The OWASP ASVS 4.0 and the OWASP Top Ten lists are fundamentally different.
Since their inception, the OWASP Top Ten lists are standard awareness documents aimed at increasing the awareness of prevailing security issues in web applications among developers, companies, and the software industry in general.
In contrast, the ASVS 4.0 presents a categorized list of security requirements and controls, so developers can design and write secure code. It aims to be an actual application security standard in its own right.
There can be other security issues found in your web applications but not listed in the OWASP ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report.
Click to view a sample ASVS 4.0 Report.
ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report Sections
There are four sections in the OWASP ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report:
- Scan Metadata
- Vulnerability Names and Details
- Show/Hide Scan Details
This section provides details on the following items:
- Scan Target
- Scan Time
- Scan Duration
- Total Requests
- Average Speed
- Risk Level
This provides a numerical and graphical overview of:
- Numbers The numbers of issues detected at various Vulnerability Severity Levels
- Identified Vulnerabilities The total number of detected vulnerabilities
- Confirmed Vulnerabilities The total number of vulnerabilities that Acunetix 360 verified by taking extra steps such as extracting some data from the target
Vulnerability Names and Details
This section describes all identified issues and vulnerabilities, along with their Impact and Proof of Exploit. It also explains what Actions to Take and a Remedy for each one, including External References for more information.
This table lists and explains the headings in the Vulnerability Names and Details section.
This is the name of the identified issue.
This is the label to group, organize, and filter issues in the target web application.
Proof of Exploit
This is a piece of evidence supplied to prove that the vulnerability exists, showing information that is extracted from the target using the vulnerability.
For further information, see Proof of Exploit.
This displays further details about the vulnerability.
This indicates how much Acunetix 360 is sure about the identified issue.
This shows the effect of the issue or vulnerability on the Target URL.
Required Skills for Successful Exploitation
This gives details on how malicious hackers could exploit this issue.
Actions to Take
These are the immediate steps you can take to decrease the impact or prevent exploitation.
This offers further steps to resolve the identified issue.
This provides links to other websites where you can find more information.
OWASP ASVS: This provides further information about this issue according to OWASP ASVS 4.0.
CVSS 3.0: This shows the severity score of vulnerability based on the 3.0 edition of the Common Vulnerability Scoring System.
CVSS 3.1: This shows the severity score of vulnerability based on the 3.1 edition of the Common Vulnerability Scoring System.
This provides further information on the solution for identified issues.
Proof of Concept Notes
These notes demonstrate in principle how a system may be compromised.
This is the whole HTTP request that Acunetix 360 sent in order to detect the issue.
This is the reply from the system against the payload.
Show/Hide Scan Details
This section provides some profile and policy settings that Acunetix 360 uses to adjust its scanning to reach more coverage. For example, it lists all enabled security checks.
It provides information on your preference in selecting this scan so that developers have more details on how this scan was run.
For further information, see Security Checks.
How to Generate an ASVS 4.0 Compliance Report in Acunetix 360
- Log in to Acunetix 360.
- From the main menu, click Scans, then Recent Scans. The Recent Scans window is displayed.
- Next to the relevant report, click Report. The Scan Summary window is displayed.
- Click Export. The Export Report dialog is displayed.
- From the Report drop-down, select OWASP ASVS 4.0 Compliance.
- From the Format drop-down, select an option.
- If required, select one of the following to configure your report:
- Exclude Addressed Issues excludes those issues on which you've already taken action. (All Information level findings are marked as Accepted Risk automatically by default. To change this behavior, see Do not mark Information issues as accepted risks in General Settings).
- Export Confirmed includes only those issues that are confirmed.
- Export Unconfirmed includes only those issues that are unconfirmed.
- Click Export. You can view the report in the Save location.