Introduction to internal site scanning
This document provides an introduction to the Agents feature available in Acunetix Premium+ Online.
Acunetix Premium+ Online includes an Agents feature that enables you to scan web applications that are inaccessible from the internet. The internal scanning agent can be installed inside your network and managed through the Acunetix Online portal to scan your internal resources. Scan results of the internal resources are automatically uploaded to your Acunetix Online portal so that they can be managed together with the results of your other scans.
Internal scanning agents can be installed on Windows or via Docker Desktop. Customers using Linux should install the agent through Docker Desktop. For Agent installation instructions, refer to the following documentation:
- Installing internal agents on Windows
- Installing internal agents using Docker
- Installing internal agents with proxy settings
For internal agents to work properly, you need to allowlist the following URLs:
For more information, refer to Allowlisting requirements for agents.
NOTE: If you are running multiple concurrent scans with internal agents, your RAM and CPU need to be exponentially greater than the specified installation requirements.
Any additional concurrent scan requires +2 GB RAM and +1 core.
Assigning internal scanning agents to targets
After installing an internal scanning agent, you need to assign the agent to a target in order to start scanning an internal site. This can be achieved either from the Agents page (where you can view a list of your internal agents) or the Targets page in your Acunetix Online portal.
NOTE: You need to add your internal target to Acunetix before you can assign an internal scanning agent to the target. For information about adding targets, refer to Configuring Targets.
How to assign an internal agent to a target
From the Agents page:
- Select an internal agent from the list of internal agents.
- Select the Targets tab.
- Click + Assign Target.
- Use the drop-down menu to select an internal target, then click Submit.
From the Targets page:
- Select an internal target from the list of targets. The Target Settings page opens for the selected target.
- In the Default Agent section, use the drop-down list to select an internal agent.
- If required, enable the Configure proxy server for agent checkbox, then enter your proxy server details.
- Configure the other target settings as necessary, then click Save.
The internal agent is now assigned to an internal target and the internal agent will be used the next time a scan is launched for that target.